Tuesday, March 27, 2007

More on Religion

"I came to the conclusion long ago … that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian." - Mahatma Gandhi, January 19, 1928

(When asked if he was a Hindu) Yes I am, I am also a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, and a Jew.


What if Westernized Christianity got it wrong? What if Jesus's Great Commission to us (“go and make disciples of all nations”) does not call us to convert individuals of another faith to Christianity? What if, rather, we are called to share the transformative influence of Christ’s message with members of other religions? In other words, we are called to help members of other religions to interpret and live out their faith in a more life-transforming way, in a way that is more in line with God’s purposes for their lives.

And, perhaps, (I would say it is very likely, in fact) this process of sharing in our faiths will lead us to grow in our interpretation of the Bible, God’s Word to us.


As Gandhi also said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Religions_Initiative

No comments :

Post a Comment