Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Misstatement

I just realized I made a misstatement in my post about religion. I still stand by the basic point of my post that religion should serve to unite people of all different beliefs. However, in my post I stated "Nothing about Christianity should ever be used to separate or further divide humanity."

I actually contradicted this statement with the quote that came right after it: "The true division of humanity is between those who live in light and those who live in darkness. Our aim must be to diminish the number of the latter and increase the number of the former." - Victor Hugo

The truth is that Christianity is a religion about transforming one's life, and any attempt to transform will always be met with resistance of some kind, and therefore, with occasional division. What I should have said was that "Nothing except the fundamental religious truth of Christianity (or, as Hugo stated, 'the division between those who live in light and those who live in darkness') should ever separate or divide humanity."

Alright, in the future I'll try to move away from this sort of logical argumentation. I've become convinced that stories are the natural method of transmitting all types of knowledge. (Keep in mind that logic can still play a major role in stories; it's just that in stories, logic is always accompanied by relevant examples or explanation of the purpose of the argument.) So, altough it might be a little rough at first (I've never really been much of a "story" person), I'll try to include more stories in my future posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment